Let’s begin this article giving a general overview of the scenario. Do you need a tool that can guarantee a good IP protection? Here’s what you need and what we are talking about. That’s what a Network Scan actually is. It is a specific scan that analyses an IP network in order to identify its vulnerabilities and weak spots. This scan tool can be used both for large corporations with hundreds and hundreds computers along with small companies or networks with just a few devices.
Network Scan: what is it?
We gave a short introduction of the subject. Now it is time for us to give some more details. The most important thing to know is: how do my systems present theirselves online? In a cyberworld like the one we live in this is some crucial piece of information. In order to protect yourself from attackers or undesired accesses you need to be aware of your network status. How can you do so? Easy! A network scan. This is a really easy to understand procedure. It is a scan of all public IPs that an arbitraty IP address assigns us. You will need to run a scan on each public IP, if possible, trying every address of public networks on each TCP and UDP port. It might take a while, but it is necessary.
in collaboration with
Network Scan: the must haves
In order to have the perfect tool to fullfil your corporate needs you need to know a few more things. There are several aspects to consider and a few must haves.
- It must successfully meet compliance regulations ( GDPR infographic ).
- The tool should perform full vulnerability and port scanning.
- Moreover, it should manage organization – wide software deployment and solce BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) issues in order to optimize time and resources.
- There is one more thing: it must automatically generate reports of the devices, computers, softwares and applications installed in your network. This is meant to provide a complete and detailed overview of your network inventory, status and security risk.
Network Scan: detailed insights
Obviously, there are some pieces of information that are best to have. In order to provide a detailed report both to your IT division and management, this information should be clear and accurate. There are, at least, three main areas where the overview needs to focus:
- The percentage of the vulnerability risk. How high is the risk of a specific vulnerability? Do I need to worry about it? Where do I focus my attention and resources?
- These vulnerabilities need to be listed in the clearest way possible. To this end, it is appropriate if they are exposed and numbered in a graphic that highlights the number of vulnerabilities for each risk level. How many high vulnerabilities do I have? This kind of list prevents waste of time and money and allows immediate actions.
- It is necessary to have a description of the vulnerability.
- In order to have all the report data immediately at your disposal, the report must be easily exportable.
Network Scan: how can I protect my business?
In order to assure to your business the best tool available, Swascan developed a special cybersecurity platform. It is completely in Cloud, Pay per Use and SaaS. You can see for yourself in our brochure: Cybersecurity platform and have an in-depth look at our services. Our four services cover all the governance needs in terms of risk management and periodic assessment. Basically, if you need to understand the areas in which your efforts must focus, GDPR Self-Assessment, Vulnerability Assessment, Network Scan and Code Review are the right tools for you. Last but not least, don’t forget GDPR: our platform is 100% GDPR compliant.