A vulnerability assessment is something neccesary that leads the customer or the user to a full picture of the situation. It lets you know the exposure state of your systems to the vulnerabilities. In order to make it possible there are several automized tools. These tools run deep controls on each system or application and recognize vulnerabilities. Another important aspect to consider is speed. Their speed makes it possible to scan a wide perimeter in a short time providing a good detail level.
Vulnerability Assessment: what is it?
After this short introduction we can start giving a brief definition of a VA. It is a security analysis that has the goal of identifying all the potential vulnerabilities of systems and applications. How? Spotting and evaluating the potential damage the attacker could inflict to the productive unit. Highly qualified personnel, in a second moment, integrates and verifies the results through manual activities. These activities have the purpose of refining the research highlighting eventual errors during the process. Promptly isolating real vulnerabilities is one of the key aspects of this kind of assessment. A good Vulnerability Assessment Service allows the user to keep an updated overview of the security level of his assets and IT systems. Obviously, this is the starting point to optimize all the efforts for managing security.
in collaboration with
Vulnerability Assessment: the must haves
In order to have a tool that can respond to a company needs in a complete way, there are a few must-haves:
- It must recognize and spot a large number of different vulnerabilities such as SQL injection, Cross-site Scripting, and much more…
- Compliance. This is a key factor ( GDPR Infographic ) in order to avoid penalties and loss of reputation.
- A great understability. Results must be clear and easy to access. To make it clear, if you have the most detailed and deep results but they are exposed in a difficult way, they are almost useless. Basically, you need a clear exposure combined with a good level of depth.
- Connected with the previous point, two different reports would be great. Data must be clear both for top management in order to take the right decisions and for IT technician that can focus their attention on the right subjects.
Vulnerability Assessment: detailed insights
Insights provided by the assessment should be – as stated before – the more detailed. There are some key points and key areas that need to be highlighted in order to have a full understanding of the matter. Moreover, these themes are extremely important and need a special analysis effort. We can summarize some of these categories:
- Division of vulnerabilities according to their risk rank (High, Medium, Low for example)
- Strategic areas hit by these vulnerabilities (Confidentiality, Access Control,…)
- Likelihood of Exploits. How high is the possibility that someone could take advantage of this vulnerability and damage my company? A priority list is something necessary for every company in order to better understand which aspect needs more attention.
- History of previous assessments in order to have a results continuity.
- Detailed information
Vulnerability Assessment: how can I protect my business?
In order to assure to your business the best tool available, Swascan developed a special cybersecurity platform. It is completely in Cloud, Pay per Use and SaaS. You can see for yourself in our brochure: Cybersecurity platform and have an in-depth look at our services. Our four services cover all the governance needs in terms of risk management and periodic assessment. Basically, if you need to understand the areas in which your efforts must focus, GDPR Self-Assessment, Vulnerability Assessment, Network Scan and Code Review are the right tools for you. Last but not least, don’t forget GDPR: our platform is 100% GDPR compliant.